Old March 27th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
denny

Default Lexan

On Mar 26, 5:56�pm, "erik" wrote:
Listers, I need help, please.

*About three weeks ago I had to push an airframe that I was working
on, out into the open for space requirements. The windshield was
intalled on this airframe, but still covered in the protective plastic
"masking" to prevent scratching.

Now, after three weeks in the sun, the masking has deteriorated so
much that I can't get it off the lexan. It has perished into milions
of 1/4 mm square pieces that seems bonded to the lexan.

I have unsuccessfully tried: hot water and soap, turpentine,
meths,spit, scratching with my fingernails (works to an extend, but
leaves tiny scratches on the lexan surface. Can these be polished
out?), thinners (ginormous mistake).

I have not tried acetone (I forsee another ginormous mistake), or fire
(match in the fuel tank). Or Handy-Andy, an ammonium-based deterdent.

Any suggestions will be tried. This is driving me off my rocker.

Thanks and goodbye,

Erik Snyman

Go to www.charliesoap.com and order a gallon of Charlie's Soap. I
have used it several times to clean plexiglass in the same condition.
You won't need anywhere near a whole gallon, but you will find so many
other uses for it, you will want more than a quart. It cleans
everything from false teeth to diesel engines, according to the
label. I haven't used it on false teeth, but it cleans everthing else
I've tried it on.

Denny