Old September 1st 03, 12:30 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Roy Smith said:
4) Do you try this even when expecting to break out at minimums (with
less time to slow down)?

Not me. Try it some day in VFR conditions. Fly the glide slope (or
VASI) down to 200 AGL at 120 KIAS with the flaps up, then try to land
and see how much runway you use up.

The airports where you're likely to get "keep your speed up" are, as you
said, also ones that are likely to have ILSes. They're also likely the
ones that have nice long runways. 8000 foot runways are plenty of room
for me to slow down an Archer from 130 knots at 200 AGL.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
ALL programs are poems, it's just that not all programmers are poets.