Old March 9th 04, 07:49 AM
Moose

Hi Walt

I could tell you a few stories about the weak nose gear involving Deuces of
the 59th FIS up at Goose (64 to 67).

There was one Deuce that came back from a practice scramble on a sunny
Saturday afternoon in 1965 or 1966. The pilot was motoring at a fair clip
along the taxiway parallel to Runway 19 (the runway he landed on) which
happened to be on the R.C.A.F. side, when the nose wheel collapsed. The
aircraft skidded almost 90 degrees to the right and came to rest 50 feet
from where one of the messes was having a family day BBQ. I think a couple
of sprinting records were broken that day. (-:

Cheers...Chris