Old March 12th 04, 08:37 PM
Dweezil Dwarftosser

Just a note - (Walt already knows this, I'm sure...)

WaltBJ wrote:

[ snippage ]
Granted, the MG10
fire control system computer normally delivered the fire signal for
missiles and rockets but the pilot had to hold the trigger depressed
waiting for the computer to make up its mind.

ALL fighter aircraft worked this way (for missiles, though
not for rockets in later machines). However, by the F-4, the
presence of an Interlock IN/OUT switch routinely defeated the
capability of the WCS/FCS to ensure the missile was fired
inside its high kill-probability envelope.

The autopilot had an
attack mode wherein it steered the aircraft according to the fire
control system's commands in both missile and rocket mode - I do not
know of anyone who ever used it. There are several good reasons why
not - tactical requirements for missile attack being one, safety
during a rocket pass being the other.

Old heads in WCS shops (former 102 & 106 guys) provided another
reason: "hot dots" (a jerky Aim Dot, usually called by sticky
resolvers or poorly aligned amplifiers in the antenna or computer)
- which could bounce a pilot's head off the cockpit hardware if
it were commanding the autopilot...

- John T