Old December 22nd 04, 09:47 PM
Stan Gosnell

"Stan Prevost" wrote in
:

My own experience is that red works well for me except on sectionals.
Some of the red lamps I use are a little brighter than I would like
but I don't find that they mess up my adaption even when falling
directly on my face briefly. White light does mess me up unless it is
very dim. I haven't used other colors. I keep a little white Photon
microlight handy for looking at sectionals when needed, but it does
mess up my vision because it is so bright.

One problem for me with red light is that I have about a dozen gauges
with red lines and red areas. Red light doesn't help much in seeing
these. If the instrument lights fail and I have to rely on my own light,
red ain't gonna cut it, because there is likely to be lots of stuff going
on, and I need to know if I'm approaching limits on the engines, RPM,
torque, oil temps and pressures, hydraulic systems, and everything else.
I need to be able to see at a glance where the needles are in relation to
the redlines. If red is adequate in your aircraft, then use whatever
works for you. I've tried red, and don't like it.

--
Regards,

Stan