Old August 14th 16, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Racing

OGN allows you to opt out for tracking; you can still do a SAR request if someone who has registered doesn't come back (positions are only kept for 24 hrs). You can also get a range analysis to see if your FLARM range is acceptable to you.

If you have put no-track in your flarmcfg.txt file, you won't be visible on OGN.

The point, however, is that there is a desire to expose more of the public to the thrill of the race, particularly at Sailplane Grand Prix, in a way that can be followed. OGN is an option. When you register, you select whether you wish to be tracked, and the ID used; this can be changed.

InReach is quite expensive in some countries outside the US, which is a problem (so is SPOT).

I have 4 GPS in my glider - phone, oudie, CNv, FLARM. I don't think I have cross-talk, but I don't want another put in at a contest where I'd be distracted if it messed up a functioning cockpit.

I'm an OGN fan. Keeps the crew informed; can be used for SAR; cheap; not impossible for a techno-bozo (me).

If you don't want it, don't use it.

Dan