Old January 30th 04, 03:01 PM
James M. Knox

"Robert Easton" wrote in
:

Enclosed below is the Advisory Circular, AC 61-91 Pilot Proficiency
Program Awards. A wings award counts as a BFR, so you are good for 24
months after receiving one, (just like a check ride). You can earn
your next wings during the next 12 months after completing the
requirements of your previous award.

So as I read the AC (and trying to answer Andrew's questions):

o The effective "BFR" date (i.e. when you are again covered for 24
calendar months) starts the DATE of the last necessary part of the
WINGS. Example: If you flew two hours for WINGS, then a month later
attended a safety program, then another month later flew another WINGS
hour, it's the date of that LAST flight hour that starts the clock.
[This agrees with what I have always understood.]

o The "once per year" thing seems a bit more complicated. As I read the
AC you can finish a WINGS set one day, then go out two days later and do
the whole thing over again (3 hours flying plus safety seminar)... you
just can't send the little blue card in to the FSDO for another 12
months.

FWIW... Back when this stuff all started there was frequently a BIG
delay in receiving the pin and certificate. The date on the certificate
might be dated months after anything you had done (i.e. it was dated the
day the FAA guy signed it and put it in the mail). The last few years
the ones I have received have always been dated the last date on the
list on the blue card. [Which would be consistent with the first bullet
above.]

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331