Old January 31st 04, 04:34 PM
James M. Knox

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

o The effective "BFR" date (i.e. when you are again covered for 24
calendar months) starts the DATE of the last necessary part of the
WINGS.

Ah. That's what I'm missing. Where in the AC did you find this?
(And how did I miss it? {8^)

It's *my* reading (i.e. good for what you paid for it G) of:

6. PARTICIPATION IN THE PILOT PROFICIENCY AWARD PROGRAM IN
LIEU OF A
FLIGHT REVIEW. A pilot need not accomplish the flight review
requirements of 14 CFR part 61, ~ 61.56 if, since the beginning
of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot
acts as pilot in command, he or she has satisfactorily completed
one or more phases of an FAA-sponsored Pilot Proficiency Award
Program in an aircraft (reference 61.56(f)).

First part is clear... you don't need a BFR if in the preceding 24
calendar months you have "completed one or more phases of an FAA-
sponsored PPAP".

The point at which you have completed the phase is when you do the last
of the four items (1 flight hour in each of three areas, plus the safety
seminar), and get the appropriate wings signoff in your logbook. It
doesn't say anything about when you mail in the card, or when they
respond to it. And, as I mentioned, that now seems to also be the date
that they are putting on the certificate they eventually send back to
you.

o The "once per year" thing seems a bit more complicated. As I read
the AC you can finish a WINGS set one day, then go out two days later
and do the whole thing over again (3 hours flying plus safety
seminar)... you just can't send the little blue card in to the FSDO
for another 12 months.

As I understand this then (and ignoring the calendar month issue), if
I did as you describe, I'd have to wait 363 days before I could submit
the paperwork again. Once I did submit, though, I'd push my BFR date
back by two days.

7. TRAINING REQUIREMENTS PHASES I THROUGH XX. Minimum
requirements, ...All training requirements for
each phase of the program must be completed within 12 months.
After completing a phase of the program, pilots may begin
working on the requirements of the succeeding phase at any
time; however, 12 months must pass between the date of
completion of it phase and application for tile award for the
next phase.

This one is trickier. You have 12 months to complete an entire phase.
The 12 months can start ANYTIME after the previous phase is completed,
but you can't drag it out over five years and then turn it in for a
Wings phase.

Here's the next catch. "12 months must pass between the date of
completion of it phase and application for tile award for the
next phase." My reading of that (and it is just my reading) is that
even if you complete the necessary stuff for the next phase, you can not
*apply* (i.e. send in the card) for the next phase until 12 months have
elapsed after the date of the previous phase completion. And yeah, if
you went out the very next day and did the entire thing, it would only
extend your "BFR date" by that day. [FWIW, I checked the FAA site and
the original poster submitted the AC correctly - all those typo's and
poor grammar are really in there. G]

It sounds kinda squirrelly, but thinking about it, I'm not sure there is
much other way to word it that doesn't have all the same weirdness. You
don't want someone going through 25 wing phases in a month. You don't
want someone claiming that this made them BFR-proficient when they only
flew one hour per year. And you don't want someone claiming they are
BFR-proficient because they sent in the blue card - for stuff they did
five years ago. This seems to take care of all those cases.

Again, just my understanding of it, which (to me) looks like it is
supported by the language of the AC. Contradicting opinions welcomed.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721