Old February 13th 18, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 02:59:34 -0800, krasw wrote:

Carbon shatters to (sharp) pieces, with wowen kevlar fibers in fabric
the structure does not completely disappear around you in case of crash.
AFAIK carbon itself is stronger fibre that kevlar. I think most flaps
and ailerons are made of 100% kevlar, though not sure why. Maybe it's
lighter than carbon and still strong enough?

I don't know whether its lighter than carbon, but its easier to get
lighter weight kevlar fabric than carbon (35 gsm vs 80gsm). Horrible
stuff to work with, though.