Old January 30th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
gk

Default Flat free ground handling wheels

The wheels for my 269A were aluminum and the tires were inflated to
70psi. The aluminum wheels meant that I could take them along if needed
and if the tires were kept at approximately 70 it was an easy push (on a
level hard surface). An acquaintance of mine had similar tires for his
500 filled with some sort of rigid foam (for tractor tires, I believe).
This gave a airless tire that was about as stiff as the one with 70psi.

Gary

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
By God Kevin your idea may not be the best, but it is certainly the first
time I've heard that one. One problem tho I have to carry those wheels by
hand and at my advancing age, it may exceed my capacity. Would the wheels
weigh more than a 6 pack?

Stu

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:21:11 -0800, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

I recently tried a pair of Marathon flat free wheelbarrow tires to replace
my pneumatic tires that had developed the habit of slowly leaking out the
air.
@#$%^ The rolling resistance was so great I couldn't move the helicopter
by
myself. In fact even with my wife's help it was very hard to get the
helicopter moved on concrete with the flat free tires. Looking at the
contact patch, there was approximately a 3" long contact area. Replacing
the flat free with the pneumatics, I was again able to relatively easily
move the helicopter. Weight of the helicopter was slightly less than the
reported capacity of the flat free tires.
Any suggestions?

Pneumatics filled with concrete.