Old November 18th 05, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Yesterday's IFR flight with questions

On 18 Nov 2005 11:39:06 -0800, "Doug"
wrote:

As for decending. if it is rime, I think 1500' of undercast is usually
fairly safe. If it is freezing rain then no-go. Someone mentioned 1500'
per minute. But the most important thing is keeping the airplane
upright and not overspeed. You may want to use your standard decent
rate and not go around doing something different. The word is that
horizontal stablizer icing is the worst thing on decent. Don't use
flaps for landing if you have ice when you land and land a little
faster. Do everything at higher airspeed if you have ice. This will
keep you above stall speed (hopefully). See that is the problem. Due to
different shape of the wing due to ice the plane will stall at a higher
airspeed.

It is my understanding that ice forms less quickly when a propellor
turns faster. If you want to descend quickly (low RPM) would the prop
icing up and be a problem?

As fo noticing ice, in the PA28 I fly, the first hint was on the left
corner of the windshield (can't remember if it was top or bottom).
There was also slight frosting on the temp probe.