Old December 4th 04, 03:08 AM
Bob Chilcoat

You should be aware that "balloon gas", which is what is sold in those
disposable containers, is a mixture of helium and nitrogen or helium and
air. This makes it cheaper and lowers the partial pressure of helium, which
reduces the rate of diffusion through the rubber (or other polymer). The
balloons stay inflated longer. OTOH, they have significantly less buoyancy.
If you want maximum buoyancy, you need nearly pure helium. Any industrial
gas supplier (BOC Gases, Air Products, Liquid Air (Air Liquide), Linde,
etc.) can supply what you want, in a variety of different sized cylinders,
including the large tube trailers they use for the Macy's parade balloons.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

"John Doe" wrote in message
(John Galban) wrote:
John Doe wrote in message news:

Where can I buy materials, online or at some nationwide USA store,
to make helium balloons?
I guess that would be a can of helium and some balloons?
I just want to make a few now, and then a few at regular intervals
indefinitely.

Interesting post for RAH. Are we seeing the birth of the next
lawnchair aviator?

I read that. Interesting story.

From what I could tell, the appropriate Usenet group was too small to
expect any replies from. I think this worked out pretty well. I read
and appreciate every one of the replies.

For starters. I bought a "balloon time" 30 balloon helium filled tank
this morning. The balloons are too cheap and small. I need either
another balloon material or that "hi-fly" liquid plastic stuff to
coat ordinary balloons.

I already asked about that in my next post, even though I might have
asked incorrectly.

If my cats are continuously fascinated by a string attached to a
balloon stopped by (resting against) the ceiling, I will take up the
suggestions about getting a refillable helium tank. Thanks.

:-)))

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)