Old November 10th 03, 02:03 PM
Roy Smith

You're climbing to 8,000 to get there at some point in the missed approach
procedure, not at the I-RPO 10 DME. Note it says "...then climbing right
turn" after the 10 DME.

OK, I guess this makes sense. Somehow the wording of the procedure
threw me. I parsed it as (climb to 8000 to I-RPO 10 DME) then (climbing
right turn, etc). I guess if they wanted to make sure you were at 8000
by I-RPO 10 DME they would have said "cross I-RPO 10 DME at 8000".

I never thought about it before, but it now occurs to me that missed
procedures violate the rule about the order in which clearance elements
are given. Normally it's CRAFT (Clearance Limit, Route, Altitude,
Frequency, Transponder). With a missed, it's altitude Altitude, Route.
Clearance Limit.

Put into CRAFT format, the missed would read something like:

Cleared to the COE VOR via I-RPO back course, I-RPO 10 DME, right turn
to intercept the 210 bearing to SZT, SZT 181 bearing and COE 359R, climb
and maintain 8000.

With it worded that way, I never would have thought there was any
altitude crossing restriction at the 10 DME fix. I wonder what
historical event led to the dichotomy?