Old September 3rd 04, 08:22 PM
Jack

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Your friends might have been home for Christmas 1972 had the SVN
agreed to the accords in October 1972. The SVN continued to
hold out foir awhile even AFTER the NVN returned to the table.
The seminal event that brought them home was the agreement to
the accords by the SVN.

Had the SVN relented befor Linbacker II AND the NVN reneged then
the efficacy of Linbacker II would be pretty well established.
As it is, we can only speculate.

....or, propagandize and spin.

If I had been making those decisions for SVN I would have agreed to the
accords only with extreme reluctance. Do you think they did not know
what would happen when the US pulled out its forces? Everyone understood
it was only a matter of time without direct US support on the ground
until SVN was overrun.

Survival is the name of the game, and as has too often been the case,
the piece of mind of the US Left is more important than the commitments
to support the survival of some of our allies -- even when those
commitments were the product of Democratic administrations.

The US has much to be proud of and much to be ashamed of with regard to
VN, but not necessarily what those of your political persuasion might claim.

Jack