Old June 19th 04, 08:31 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter Duniho wrote:

I have never noticed precession during attitude changes, but I hear that
it's noticeable in taildraggers during takeoff when the airspeed is low and
the tail is brought up during the initial takeoff run.

That's correct. I typically start to bring the tail up at about 2/3 flying speed in
my plane. If the back seat is empty, I can raise the tail rapidly enough to require
full right rudder to counteract the effect. If I have a back-seat passenger, the tail
will rise so slowly that the precession effect is almost negligible. I have never
noticed precession effects in the air.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.