Old November 15th 16, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Citrus Soaring

Default Pawnee 235 vs 260

We have a 260 Pawnee "85P" with a constant speed prop. At max rpm on takeoff the sound rivals the aeroshell aerobatic team with their T6's. We reduce the prop rpm to 2600 climbing thru 100ft agl for noise concerns. After release we bring the prop back to 2500 rpm for the decent.

At contests if noise isn't a concern we leave the prop at max rpm for tow and decent. A 260 Pawnee with a constant speed prop is hard to beat for max launches per hour.

Operating cost is much higher with the constant speed prop. That needs to be considered in a club.

Franklin
Citrus Soaring