Old August 12th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Default OLV GPS 36 approach question

Sam Spade wrote in news:nKjDg.567$cw.432@fed1read03:

Further, since the OLV IAP that started this thread was a TAA procedure,
I believe the controller failed to apply the published area altitude of
the TAA, especially if he issued the approach clearance prior to the IF.

The pilot should have been assigned not less than 2,800 until the IF.

This would be my take on it with charts in hand.....

After all, once I am cleared for the approach, navigation is back in my
court, and if my radios decided to call it the day, would seem rather
"dangerous" in the clag flying lower then indicated on the approach charts.

Sure, i could squawk 7600, and climb back to 2800, but the more changes you
make in flight configurations, the more chance of errors developing.

I did file a ASR report as to me, there is a major discrepancy between what
the approach plate has and what instructions were given to me by ATC.

Would seem that MVA would be inheritantly dangerous should the radios quit
and here you are lower then what approach charts say you should be at.

Granted as one other poster pointed out, there was only one antenna that
was of any significant height, and not a factor in my approach, so 2100
would *seem* safe.

Allen