Old August 17th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default What to do if the canopy opens during flight ?

Vaughn Simon wrote:

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message
. ..
I have exactly the same concern about those tilt forward canopies; and don't
know how, or if, it is adiquately adressed. It just seems like a high price
to make egress easier on the ramp.

In my experience, a conopy does nothing to make egress easier on the ramp.
In fact, I recently stopped renting a factory made Zenith partially because it
is difficult for a solo pilot to close and properly latch the ill-fitting
canopy. I will take a real door any day.

The canopy on a Grumman does what a canopy is supposed to do and slides
back.

What a canopy really does is simplify airframe design, particularly for a
mid-wing design; but it does so at the expense of adding a whole new set of
problems.

The only problems with Grumman canopies is the $3 nylon bushing that
wears out and you need to clean and lube the tracks now and then.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.