Old April 6th 04, 07:11 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Gordon Schubert wrote:

Could someone explain the logic behind the JAR 22 standards.
I just sold an L33 Blanik. Maximum pilot weight per
the manual was 283 lbs. but according to JAR 22 could
only be 242 lbs. Which is legal?

The way I read JAR 22.25(a)2, the 242 lb (110 kg) limit
is the _minimum_ possible maximum pilot weight for
a certificated single-seat glider.

That is, you're generally not allowed to certificate
a single-seat glider unless the maximum pilot weight
is at least 110 kg. For a two-seater, the minimum possible
maximum crew weight is 180 kg (396 lbs). To read the
rule itself, see the Canadian version of JAR 22:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv.../522/suba_b.ht
m#522.25

I believe that manufacturers are completely at liberty
to develop and certificate gliders that have greater
maximum pilot and crew weights than those established
as minimums by JAR 22.25(a)2. From what you describe,
that seems to be the case with the L-33.

However, it seems that the majority of manufacturers
have chosen to certificate their gliders for the minimum
allowable maximum pilot and crew weights allowed under
JAR 22.25(a)2. That's probably a business decision
on their part based on who they see as their target
market. Given that the US, which probably has the largest
concentration of certificated pilots above 110 kg,
constitutes only about 15% of the worldwide market
for sailplanes and equipment, typical manufacturers
probably see it as a sound decision.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24