Old March 2nd 04, 09:45 PM
Dave Stadt

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
C J Campbell wrote:
Loose-leaf logbook systems are becoming increasingly popular. It is no
easier to falsify entries in these systems than in any other log.
Yes, pages can be removed, but then again maintenance can be performed

and
not logged at all.
There is no particular form that logs have to take. They could in fact

be
entirely electronic and probably will be in the future.
The "original logbooks" that come with the airplane are small and

quickly
fill up. Their bindings get broken from having all kinds of tags and
additional papers stapled in there. Most logbooks end up being held

together
with rubber bands. It is probably easier to lose pages from a bound

logbook
than from a looseleaf.

In addition, I believe the applicable FARs only require that you keep
"maintenance records". No explicit mention of logbooks. Copies of your
old invoices from your mechanic can count as maintenance records.

Pretty
much anything can count as maintenance records (as long as you

adequately
describe the maintenance that was performed).

Except that work performed has to be signed off by an appropriate

authority.

Quite a few sign offs are done on self stick paper which could be attached
to the invoice as easily as a log book. In the case of my simple airplane
the supporting documentation fills a 3 inch loose leaf binder. The log
books are almost secondary and tell the legal story and guess what a
prospective buyer would get to see.