Old October 14th 03, 02:49 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

[snipped]

NATCA cannot be objective on this matter, IMO. OTOH, my confidence in
the FAA management's ability to assess the situation accurately is
nil.

Sadly, true on both accounts. With the latter, you can also toss in
Congress and the media as having a very loose grip on what is actually
broken, why it's broken and how to fix it. For example, even Aviation Week
keeps writing stuff about all of these "VHF" towers that might get
contracted out...

It is odd that the future sale of VHF navigation bandwidth and contractors
in towers could get muddled together.

The only accurate view IMO is from the cockpit or from in front of a radar
scope, which brings us back to these GPS approaches. One of the things I

am
doing hanging out here in RAI is trying to learn how IFR works from your
perspective, because we don't all have a very clear picture on my side of
the radio. You'd think we would train a little better down here, but it
seems to get in the way of our new first priority, "staffing efficiency".

ATC payroll is where the money is.