Old January 17th 21, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Default soaring on Mars?

On June 21, 1972, Jean Boulet of France piloted an AĆ©rospatiale SA 315B Lama helicopter to an absolute altitude record of 40,814 feet (12,440 m).

And on May 14, 2005, Didier Delsalle became the first (and only) person to land a helicopter, the Eurocopter AS350 Squirrel, on the 8,848 m (29,030 ft) summit of Mount Everest.

Pretty cool accomplishments, but Perlan 2 got to 76,124 ft. on September 2, 2018 for the highest altitude achieved in a (manned, unpowered) glider.

And, as a "fixed wing weenie" who also appreciates helicopters, I challenge ol' Jonathan to a power off glide contest. Heck, I know some wingsuit guys who would also beat his rotors off in a glide duel.