Old May 17th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Default Looking for Next Plane

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On May 16, 5:46 pm, Matt Whiting wrote:
mbremer216 wrote:
I am looking for suggestions from the peanut gallery on my step-up aircraft.
I am IFR certified with about 500 hours PIC.
I currently own a 1968 Cherokee 180D. Good, sturdy bird and has served me
well. It's great for sightseeing and taking folks for rides, but slogging
along through extended cross-countries can really take it's toll. The Mrs.
tolerates flying as long as we are going somewhere.
What I am thinking about is something with more speed (who doesn't!) but
still has reasonable maintenance costs. The typical trip for us is around
600 NM, usually just me, the wife and a small dog. She likes to sit in the
back seat (1st row of the First Class section) and spread out her comfort
items. I like her to sit in the back so I can spread out my pilot junk.
I'm not afraid of moving to a complex aircraft, but I'm also not made of
money.
Any suggestions???
Thanks
Mike

Do you like low-wings better than high-wings? Low maintenance and
insurance costs pretty much rules out a retractable. Something like a
206, Cherokee 235, etc., might be your best bet. However, it is hard to
turn a 600 nm trip into less than a 4 hours trip with a fixed gear,
normally aspirated airplane - at least not one that costs less than $200K.

Of course depending on how much you fly the high fuel burn/low cruise
speed of the 206 and 235 will cost you as much as the insurance
difference would in a retract.

That's true. I only wish I could fly enough to make this the case!

Matt