Old December 8th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Default Pearl Harbor Day Flight

I had a great morning on Pearl Harbor Day. Our little Piper Cherokee is
a shared plane, owned by corporation in which we all own shares. We have
an older gentleman (Mat) do the books for us in exchange for a few hours
a month of flying time so that he can stay current.

It is winterizing time here in New England so I met Mat at KFIT so he
could show me how to put the Oil Cooler plate on. I'm still new at this
stuff so I figured it was better to learn from the old pro.

Anyway after doing that 2 minute job, Mat asked if I wanted to go for a
ride. I was more than glad to accept. It was beautiful here yesterday
morning. Light winds, 6c, high clouds. I've been wanting to fly with Mat
for some time so I could show him how to work the basics on the GNS430
we had installed. The new gizmos can be intimidating.

I offer up the left seat but he tells me to take it. More than happy to
of course! :^) Do the pre-flight and runup. Smooth takeoff on 32, climb
out to 2000 feet before turning on course to do the VOR-A @ GDM
approach. Mat and I are talking, he's mid-80s in age. I ask him about
his flying experience. Turns out he is a former WWII Naval Aviator. And
I am flying w/ him and teaching him how to use the GPS, on Pearl Harbor
Day! What an honor. Really, an absolute honor.

We punch the approach up for GDM. Mat is astonished at how easy it is
with the GPS. I'm still working on my ticket so shooting an approach
with a safety pilot is always welcome. Mat in his easy speaking way is
giving me tips and techniques on controlling my speed through the
outbound and procedure turn back inbound. I go thru the step downs on
schedule but was still carrying too much speed with the 20+ tail winds.
Check out the plates on that one. It is quick. Hit the MDA and start the
missed but go back to KFIT.

Get back in the pattern and plunk it down on 32 (got too slow again,
grrrr.) That's when it hit me what I just had the chance to do. So
thanks Mat and to all the other vets out there.

KC