Old June 10th 04, 02:47 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Jack Allison" wrote in message

Looking for any feedback from folks that had mostly C-172 time (zero

complex

and/or RG time) then transitioned to a complex airplane when you went to

Think carefully about your mission and why you want to own an airplane.

If the airplane will be a step toward additional larger complex airplanes,
then an entry-level retractable such as a C172RG might make sense.

But as a means for practical travel on its own, I think there is a
reasonable argument that a C182 has performance advantages over a C172RG in
terms of payload and endurance. So think about whether and airplane you
buy is intended for training for for practical travel and if it is meant for
travel, then think about the relative merits of speed vs. payload vs. range.

I was looking to build experience in retractables when I transitioned from
my flying club wich had a C172/182/Archer/Warrier. I decided on an older
Mooney M20C which cost no more than a C172 but let me build complex airplane
time. A 1960s vintage Mooney M20C still remains an excellent value for
this purpose.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com