Old October 15th 18, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 4:59:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
So, how about a Diamond climb without the need for a wave window? Here is how you do it:

Launch out of Santa Ynez (California) Airport KIZA on a north wind day with wave conditions forecast. Ridge soar the mountains just south of the field (Santa Ynez Peak to Bald Mountain etc.) until you are sure the ridge lift is there. Do a redline pass down the dry river bed at the base of those mountains (~500 ft MSL if you really push it, woohoo). Pull back up into the ridge lift and re-establish a climb. Float at min sink or find a thermal that takes you to at least 5000 ft MSL or so. Turn downwind and head for Santa Rosa Island (you will be heading over the water, and seeing the shoreline disappear under your wings is definitely spooky). Contact the wave downwind of the mountains and over the water. Climb to 18,000 ft MSL, presto, a Diamond climb!

Oh, and you may want to pre-check for bailout fields downwind of the mountains, west of Goleta. There were some decent ones back in the '80's, that were checked out and walked before this was attempted. I have no idea if those fields are still there....

I didn't invent this, the old Santa Ynez crew back in the late '80's told me about it, they had flown this profile numerous times. I tried it in October 1989 in my '20, but the wave only went to 11,000 ft or so that day. I already had my Diamond climb (Mt Mitchell NC in 1985) so I didn't go on a campaign for getting to 18,000 ft.... But Diamond climbs had been done that way, so I was told.

I hope I don't get in trouble for sharing this....

Cheers,
J6

I did my Diamond climb at Gorham a few years ago. Low point about 700 above the airport. Max 17990. Made Diamond by 62 feet. I was told that this was the 5th "legal" Diamond done there.
Window was not open that day because gubment shutdown had just ended and they need the airspace for other stuff.
FWIW
UH