Old September 13th 03, 10:29 PM
Jaymes Littlehayles

Alas, the bottom line answer to the original question is this...

Same equipment operated by operators who knew and cared about doing the job
correctly, are more likely then not to find anything... In late 70s, using
early 70s technology, the Knox/Hewes class Frigate I was on using SPS10C and
SPS40 series radar held contact on drone simulators as well as aircraft
simulators that ships with "better" equipment couldn't find, much less
track...

As to shooting down...

Same answer applies... Sure a Phalanx is "always on" ...

But with appropriate notice... a properly trained and interested 5"/54 or
3"/50 crew can knock things out of sky that too many folks say is
impossible... Just as the T-2 Buckeye driver of Viques Island who had the
sock destroyed with 2 rounds from our lowly little frigate on the first high
speed pass...

How about a Tornado from Uruguayan Air Force who got plinked at high
altitude/high speed as well as low altitude/low speed...

It isn't the equipment, it is the human designing and using it... Technology
is no substitute for intelligence...

And also... That ship is now the heaviest armed warship on active duty in
Africa, being the fagship of the Egyptian Navy as ENS Dumyat...

BTW ex-EW1(ESWS/AC/DV)

Tin Can Sailor forever

How good was shipborne radar in the 60s against a 2003 airforce? For

example, could a 1964 ship detect an incoming modern strike
before the explosions began in the face of modern ACM.

I ask both because I'm curious about the past and because there are

navies
out
there using old-fashioned technology.