Old February 10th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default If user fees go into effect I'm done

Wolfgang Schwanke writes:

The US is a direct democracy? The US government cannot ignore what the
people want?

The U.S. is an _effective_ democracy. The people have a strong influence on
how the government is run, in part because the people running the government
are largely the same as the people being governed. Statutory class
distinctions are nonexistent in the U.S. for the most part, and de facto
distinctions are rare compared to the European norm.

That makes them a class by definition.

No, it makes them a profession.

I think it helps if your name is Kennedy, Clinton or Bush, but that was
not what I was talking about anyway.

None of these familes inherited their prominence. There are no royals in the
United States, and no nobles. That's the way the country's founders wanted
it, and that's one of the things that sharply distinguishes the U.S. from
Europe.