Old March 4th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Default Just two days left to try to stop an expensive and worthless FAA mandate on ADS-B

Nit: I'm not clear how transponders in two otherwise NORDO aircraft stops
either from bumping into each other. Or to what extent transponder (or ADS-
B Out) equipped aircraft prevent MACs near or at non-towered airports.

Without ADS-B In and a display...or talking to ATC....there is no
added ability to prevent a mid-air. That assumes ADS-B groujnd
reception of the ADS-B Out broadcast.

Separate from this, the GA owner can choose whether or not to spend
the extra dollars to gain direct benefit from this network.

My understanding is that if they want to fly VFR above 10,000 MSL they will
be required to have ADS-B Out. This is a _new_ cost requirement for using
that portion of the airspace - even to VFR flights. Not only is it a new
cost, it provides the VFR pilot no benefit. I believe that two fully
compliant ADS-B Out aircraft flying VFR in that space can still bump into
each other. Hence the conclusion by some (such as myself) that the mandate
costs and benefits are not equitable nor reasonable. (I also dislike the
technology because it relies on GPS.)

Anyway, finally got around to submitting my comments (hopefully in time).
They weren't terribly coherent or compelling, but what the heck.

Apparently you may need a GPS/WAAS (TSOd) receiver as well. Add in
that cost if you don't have one.

Ron Lee