Old August 8th 07, 05:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

Default What are you really trying to accomplish

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:35:55 -0500, "Don Pyeatt"
wrote:

Mmmm. Well, I am a 70 yo geezer who subscribes to a very good news
reader and I can't tell the difference between yenc and jpeg. I don't
even look at the format. My only complaint is the incessant whining
about yenc. No one is making anyone switch to yenc. If you can not
open it, so be it. Continue to open those pics you can see. As far
as wasted bandwidth, well, threads like this and all the previous
****ing contests don't really help, do they?

Dave

Dave,

I really regret that you don't understand what I was saying. Surely at your
age (not too far from mine BTW), you have peers who struggle with computers.
Are you advocating that we just leave them behind like the others are
insisting we do?

At our ages, you and I are an exception - not a norm.

I see Don is repeating that same nonsense implying force. I never
insisted on anything. Yes, you need yEnc decoding to see my pictures,
but you also need a newsreader, and a computer. So even if I didn't
use yEnc, I'd be leaving behind those who lacked that hardware and
software. Perhaps I should just print my pictures and snailmail them
out to all! Otherwise I'm "forcing" them to either buy a computer or
be "left behind."

The notion of "struggle" is also phony. Downloading Agent and
clicking "install" is hardly a struggle. "Struggle" is what I did
this morning after I installed a different firewall and found that I
could not get Windows to load--that took some computer experience,
time, and liberal use of profanity directed at Zone Alarm, Webroot,
and Microsoft. There's no struggle in getting yEnc decoding at
all--at least not the way I did it. As I've pointed out before, I
knew very little about yEnc until the brouhaha on this group, and you
don't need to understand it one bit to use it--in fact, it is no more
complicated than the UU encoding one person erroneously referred to as
"basic."

About the only thing that can be said for sticking with UU encoding
only is that it was the way things had always been done. I am totally
impatient with that attitude, and I expect that I always will be no
matter how old I live to be. I like new things, I like progress.

And the idea that such attitudes are the exception in older folks is
just flat-out ageism. Don's claim would provoke laughter at our local
senior center (which is fully computer-equipped).

I'm giving Don the "straw man creation" prize.