Old April 24th 04, 06:17 PM
lance smith

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
[snip]
Typically, the pilot studies for the private certificate, then the instrument rating,
then gets a CFI ticket. That lets him or her work for an existence (can't really call
it a living) while building hours. The commercial ticket and multi-engine rating are
picked up during these years. The next step usually is to some sort of charter
operation or light freight (like check hauling), but some people I know have gone
straight from CFI to feeder airlines. Making the transition from piston to turbine is
tricky. Getting into the right seat of a feeder airline is the next step.

[snip]

This seems to happen a lot at my old flight school. More than a couple
CFIs went on straigt on to feeders, flying right seat turbo prop. Of
course this is best case scenario and doesn't happen for everyone, you
might have to put in some additional 'dues'. One CFI took up check
transfers, another started work for a tour operator, and another
ferrying planes around. But either way if you're determined and work
hard you can get there.

-lance smith