Old December 20th 05, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Crash near Miami, FL

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
Hey did you know that according to MSNBC the Mallard is a "hydroplane".

All
the years I dealt with them I thought they were seaplanes.

They've been called that since the days of Glenn Curtiss.

So you see, you don't know everything, either. Perhaps you shouldn't
be judging Mary S. ((:-))

vince norris

Did I "credit" Shiavo with the hydroplane comment? None of us that worked
on or around them, including the Chalks employees I knew ever once called
any of the aircraft a hydroplane. Maybe the accident aircraft hit an air
pocket?

Mary made a couple of humdingers during her commentary on TV today, as she
usually does. Did you know the aircraft, contrary to FAA records and the
data plates I saw with my own eyes, couldn't have been of mid 1940's origin.
Mary informs us that seawater is far too corrosive to see such an aged
aircraft survive to the present. Mary wrote a book so she knows better than
the aircraft owners and maintenance personnel what she is talking about,
just ask her.

--
Scott