Old January 30th 04, 08:15 AM
F.L. Whiteley

IS 28 and IS 29 both have relatively large cordwise ailerons. Using too
much aileron for incipient recovery may result in a full spin, but
especially in where the aileron is a large percentage of the chord.. Our
club chairman test flew an IS 29 that our club (1979?) was considering at
one point and rejected it for this very reason. I personally found the IS
28 a nice platform but know that others were cautious or critical. I recall
comments, a la Puchaz, from around 1980, after a few spin-ins, including two
UK instructors in one instance.

You are invited to google this thread from 1995, http://tinyurl.com/2gg7r

Frank Whiteley

"Raphael Warshaw" wrote in message
m...
Marc:

I had an unintentional spin from a thermalling turn in a Baby Lark.
There was no warning (at least that I noticed), the entry was over the
top and the glider ended up spinning oposite the direction I had been
thermalling. Once I realized that it was spinning, it recovered
normally but I lost a lot of altitude before I figured it out. At
12,000 feet where it happened, it was a non-event. At 1,000 feet it
most likely would have killed me.

In turning stalls, this particular Baby Lark ALWAYS dropped a wing,
but this was quite different. In a turning stall, my own ship just
mushes until the nose drops. It will spin, but it has to be put there.

The Lark was, BTW, a rental ship and I don't remember any special
emphasis on its spin characteristics during my checkout. I continued
to fly it afterwards until it was destroyed by someone who tried to
land it perpendicular to a road. I never let it get slow near the
ground or unintentionally again, though.

Ray Warshaw

Marc Ramsey wrote in message

om...