Old January 9th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Stop Making Sense

Bob Noel wrote:

What is the utlity of the extra margin you get from the ability
to handle lower weather conditions that a non-IFR-rated
pilot?

Imagine a VFR pilot (like Jay H.) not changing his weather
minimums (e.g., VMC only). Would he be safer with an
IFR rating?

Safer? Not sure. More confident of being able to complete a weekend
trip? Absolutely. More precise flying? probably.

The at ease feeling when conditions aren't picture perfect, as in
borderline marginal VFR/VFR that would make for a sweaty palms VFR
flight, but is an easy IFR flight....well that is worth every cent of
the admission. If I told you 10% of my total time was in actual IMC,
that would be fudging it on the high side. But, It is now relatively
rare for me to cancel on account of weather, where before a serious
cross country frequently was either scrubbed or was a sweaty palms
flight. IFR is great as long as you leave yourself plenty of 'outs'.
There is plenty of weather that is comfortably flyable IFR that would be
a knucklebiter VFR here in the Northeast, and if you want to use the
plane for travel with a reasonable probability of getting where you want
to within a reasonable bracket around your target time you'll need the
rating and be willing to use it. I'm not talking hard IMC here either.
I can't tell you the number of times my home field has been IFR with a
lingering 700-1200 ft overcast, but it is VFR 50 miles to the west where
I am going. without the rating, I'd be sitting there most of the day
waiting for it to burn off or move out. With the rating I am on top by
4000' and on my way and within a half hour I am past the undercast.