Old March 3rd 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Reinhart

Default MS Flight Sim

Jay Beckman wrote:
"Dennis Johnson" wrote in message
. ..

Greetings,

I think those who are arguing that flying MS Flight Sim isn't really
"flying" are on the losing side of the argument. Flying is flying, I don't
care if it's a Cub without an electrical system or a computer running MS
Flight Sim. As far as general procedures go, MS Flight Sim gives a great
workout, and for instrument procedures, it's terrific.

It's a "Survey Sim" and is mediocre at best. Because of the broad expanse
of aircraft offered, it can't possibly fully model all aspects of each
aircraft in full fidelity. I may be wrong, but I've always understood that
that's why software like Elite or On Top devote 95% of the screen to the
panel? So that maximum processor cycles can be devoted to getting the most
fluid and precise response from the instruments?

If a person is sitting in front of an instrument panel manipulating
controls whose performance is based on aerodynamic principles, that's
flying. It might be flying a simulator, but it's still flying.

I must respectfully disagree. Flying requires action - reaction on three
axis'. Manipulating pixels in 2D (IMO) is not flying.

I think it's in our best interest to welcome anyone to this newsgroup who
is interested in aviation.

I wholeheartedly agreee. And if "The Albatross" were sincerely interested
in aviation, he'd be welcomed with open arms. As it stands, he has made it
crystal clear that he considers the experiences and collective wisdom of the
aviation community to be suspect, flying is nothing more than a hobby to be
enjoyed by the idle rich and GA aircraft are death traps.

Personally, I'm impressed with Mxsmanic's commitment to mastering
instrument procedures.

OMFG!! I guess I missed those posts while shoveling through the rest of his
cross-posted tripe.

I'll bet he could put many of us to shame.

That's a bet I'd be more than happy to take.

Give the guy a break.

Just as soon as he:
- Learns to say Thank You
- Actually listens to and attempts to learn from what others post
- Learns to say Thank You
- Stops refuting absolutely every last piece of information he's offered
- Learns to say Thank You
- Stops pronouncing that he knows better than those that "have the T-Shirt"
- Learns to say Thank You
- Stops belittling GA on GA-centric newsgroups
- Learns to say Thank You
- Stops pronouncing MSFS as the be all and end all of flight simulators
- Learns to say Thank You
- Starts using Google, FAA, AOPA, EAA, etc. websites of his own volition
- Learns to say Thank You
- Goes and takes an Intro Flight
- Learns to say Thank You

In case you didn't get it there, Sparky... It ain't so much the material as
it is the attitude.

Posting to aviation-specific newsgroups and decrying flying in general (and
GA in specific), then asking the pilot community to spoon feed him answers
(readily avialable from thousands of sources on the web) just so he can
dismiss the answers and dump on those making the effort to answer is, IMO,
the very definition of "Trolling."

In short: **** Him...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Some of the add-on aircraft are quite authentic. I fly a Cardinal and
got the Dream Flight Cardinal and it does a very good job of modeling
the real airplane.

Dave Reinhart