Old April 15th 15, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default K2 vs. StarkPower LiFePo4 batteries

On Tuesday, 14 April 2015 18:41:54 UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 8:23:29 PM UTC-4, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 April 2015 17:44:48 UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 7:29:58 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
I have used and charged two 10AH LiFePO4 batteries in parallel sans probleme.
Jim

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 2:48:04 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:

Can one charger charge two identical starkpower batteries in parallel?

Ramy

Please take questions of this sort to the manufacturer of *your* batteries. The right answer is going to depend on the details of internal construction. And there are going to be some cautions if not an outright admonishment against this.

LFP batteries have very low internal resistance, so batteries in different states of charge will pass a very large current when connected in parallel until their voltage is equalized. If your batteries are fused as they should be (right on the terminal), you stand a fair chance of blowing fuses if you hook together batteries in reasonably different states of charge.

Here's a *great* time to ignore the "well, it worked for me" replies. It'll work acceptably well right up to when it doesn't.

My $0.02.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Damn you Evan, presenting common sense and logic. I looked on the K2 website and nothing mentioned about charging in parallel. However chargers are $50 buck, cheap insurance.

Not an excuse but this setup came with the plane I acquired. Buyer beware, but I should have checked the setup. yup ordered a second charger today. Thanks Evan.

Ron

No trouble!

So the next consideration is switching in flight. Same concerns apply...

I've never been able to figure out a good way to get a back up battery in my 20, so I have just one big honking 12AH battery. But if I had a dual LFP battery system, I'd use (appropriately rated) low voltage drop diodes to prevent back feeding the low battery with some mongo current during switchover. With my luck, I'd blow the fuse on my good battery....

-Evan / T8

Switching in flight is covered, similar to what you describe. I have the opposite situation; currently 2 batteries but ability to add 2 more (front of stick and in tail) that are wired and plumbed.

Thanks Evan