Old October 30th 16, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Self-launch v Sustainer

Not so much to disagree with Bumper, but...

First powered flight with my wife was all white knuckles and, "Get me on
the ground now!"

First glider flight was by aero tow in a borrowed DG-500m-22 with a low
release and a bunch of thermalling and, "Get me on the ground now!"

Second glider flight, also aero tow to higher altitude, followed by
gentle dolphin flight yielded, "You're in lift!" and "You're in sink!"
and, after about 45 minutes, "OK, we can go down now."

Later she suggested we buy a 2-seater so she could learn to fly. We
bought a Pipistrel Sinus and, though not a CFI, I've been doing this a
long time, so I started her with straight and level. Then turns to
headings, actually turns to line up on a road, then turns around a
point. After some of this she tried slow flight, straight and turning,
then some thermalling, finally stalls and after she got competent with
these things, I had her fly traffic patterns to short final. She had so
much fun that she started taking lessons at Sundance Aviation in
Moriarty with me as her tow pilot. She got to the point of solo but
decided that she did not want to be a licensed pilot and dropped out.

She still wanted to fly but our Sinus didn't have the soaring
capabilities that I wanted so I sold my LAK-17a, placed the Sinus on the
market, and bought the Stemme. She loved the first flight and now we're
at the point where she does half the flying, though I do the takeoffs
and landings. She's become quite good at thermalling and picking a line
along lift streets to the point that I can kick back and just enjoy the
scenery. It's absolutely wonderful to be able to share this experience
with someone so close to you!

But I have to agree with Bumper about the differences in handling
between the sports car and the bus but, after 200+ hours in it (so far
this year!) I've become quite comfortable with its handling - you just
have to adapt to its quirks. And finally, the Stemme is a large expense
if you only fly it solo.

Dan

On 10/30/2016 12:29 AM, bumper wrote:
If you have not gone soaring with the wife already, I think it prudent to do that a few times first. Soaring, turning in thermals, rotor turbulence etc, is much easier on the pilot than the passenger. Some passengers adapt easily . . . I had to ask my wife's permission to turn my previous Stemme in a thermal :c), she only flew in it twice.

The point being, of course, is you don't want a big 2-place so you can go fly solo! Single place ships are like a sports car in comparison to a sedan! Generally more nimble, easier to rig and trailer, less expensive (well some are anyway), and opting for a single place means a lot more choices.

While I owned a Stemme S10-VT and an ASH26E at the same time for a couple of years, the Stemme was gathering cobwebs, though it truly is superb 2 place in terms of capability, the 26E fairly dances with the sky.

bumper

--
Dan, 5J