Old November 17th 03, 09:47 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Bjørnar Bolsøy
writes

I was wondering if anyone in this NG play simulators?
If so, which one? What's the best out there, currently.

There is no "best one". (Purists would say that the only realistic
simulator soaks you in gasoline and ignites you if you get shot down...
but that's an artifact of any simulation of combat)

First question, what phase of history interests you? Stick-and-string
biplanes, WW2, fast jets? Those are the three main areas (Korea is
generally underrepresented, IMHO, but WW2 is the period I find I like
best on current implementations)

Secondly, do you want a 'realistic' detailed simulation where you're
trying to synchronise RPMs and manage manifold pressure on your engines,
or do you want a 'combat' simulation where the engine controls consist
of 'a throttle' and you're left free to concentrate on flying around
blowing things up? (Personally I like the latter...)

My current flight sim is "Il-2 Forgotten Battles", having enjoyed the
predecessor. WW2 period, a less-travelled theatre, and a very good
execution; with the ability to turn the detail up or down as desired.
(In my case, down: I can't get good enough SA with a monitor view,
compensate by pegging the stick to turn and see what's going on, and
without flicking that handy difficulty switch end up stalling and
spinning... and once a LaGG-3 decides to spin, it doesn't want to stop.
Less realistic but more fun to 'make' the simulated aircraft be
forgiving)

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill