Old September 5th 03, 08:41 PM
JerryK

I bought AnywhereMap about 6 months after they shipped. After playing with
it for a flight or 2 I put it back in the box and went back to my Garmin
195. Some things I did not like we too many cables, dependent on ship's
power to run, non-dedicated keys, washed out display in direct sunlight, too
hard to enter waypoints with stylus.

I understand that a number of these have been addressed with newer versions.
However, I still like having dedicated controls and no cables.

jerry

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
I've asked this before, but (I think) in a different newsgroup. I'm going
to buy a handheld GPS, but I'm not sure what to buy.

Amongst the dedicated GPS boxes, my leaning is towards the Garmin 196.

I've
read all sorts of good things about it here, and people seem to like it.
It also has the longer battery life of a B/W screen, which is important to
me.

But I'm seriously tempted by the various devices which provide several
features, including GPS features, in a palmtop (ie. the IPaq or such). I
especially like that these can be expanded to include weather downloads,
backup "gyro" instruments, etc.

When I asked about this last time, I got a lot of responses regarding the
Garmin. But there was very little posted about these palmtop products

(ie.
like the Anywhere stuff). Are people not flying with these? Or are they
so good that the people flying with them haven't time for USENET laugh?

Any comments about these palmtop GPS solutions would be greatly

appreciated.

Thanks...

Andrew