Old February 28th 18, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Dittel radio servicing

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 11:21:13 PM UTC-5, David Sherrill wrote:
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 7:59:16 AM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 2:01:40 AM UTC-5, Ross wrote:
2 choices
Anton Lang Flugfunk Services in Germany. He us the authorized service center for them and it will come back like new
Or, do it yourself. It is simple soldering. Remove the top part of the case and you have access to the battery. It is a 1/2aa 3,6v Lithium battery. Cut and bend the ends to suit and solder it in.

Good luck either way

Hi Ross,

could you please describe what that battery looks like? I opened up the both covers and there is nothing there I would readily identify as a battery. If I sent you a photo, could you point it out to me or could you send me a Digikey link that battery?
Thanks,

Uli
'AS'

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-TL5902-PBP

http://www.tadiranbat.com/

You want a 1/2 AA battery. Lithium thionyl chloride batteries last for decades in this application (extremely low power draw for memory backup).

I shopped at Digikey, but forgot that I ended up ordering from Mouser. They have several to choose from. I paid a couple bucks more for the higher temperature rating, just in case my soldering took longer than recommended.

...david

Thanks, David! After Ross' description, I found the battery and measured its voltage. It still reads 3.6V. The radio just arrived from Belgium, so it hasn't been in the glider, yet. If it doesn't hold the memory, I know what to do now. :-)
Uli
'AS'