Old April 30th 21, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Two Seat Cobra Trailer Tire Replacement

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 12:34:19 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/29/2021 9:49 AM, BG wrote:
Trailer tires are designed for stability. They are 6 ply bias treads and run inflated to 50-60 psi. All this to minimize sway caused from side wall flexing. Not all normal tire stores carry these, you will need to shop around. Don't be tempted to use normal car tires, unless you never want to drive at highway speeds, the risk is too high. I have Cobra trailer with a DG 800b pulled by a Range Rover sport with low profile tires and can drive all day at 75mph with no problems at all with sway. I use to pull the same trailer with a 4 Runner with high profile radial tires, nearly have multiple accidents with sway problems, I was lucky.

Buzz Graves

"Highway speeds"? 60, 70, 80? ST tires are generally not rated for 80, but some
can be used at 70/75 IF you follow the instructions for the increased tire
pressure over the label rating. And, please don't get bias ply (so 1960s)! The
ST radials are superior in all respects except cost. LT truck tires are an even
better choice, with much higher speed ratings than ST tires.
--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

I have inquired about LT tires and found them unavailable in the size used by Cobra. After all, they are light TRUCK tires.

Tom