Old March 27th 04, 03:41 PM
BllFs6

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies Bill and Vee Duber!

Given that gliders are sooo darn efficient fuel wise and that it would take a
pretty minimal engine for one to self launch (20hp is my WAG for a single
seater).....why do we not see more airplanes that a cross between a glider and
a conventional plane?

Glider pilots hate engines? Powered pilots want barrel rolls and roaring
engines? Never the twain shall meet?

Seems to me if cost and the amount of time airborne are your primary desire
drivers then a "overpowered" glider would be the ticket...

Am I right in the main disadvantage of a powered glider is long take off rolls
and lack of fancy aerobatics? Other considerations I am missing?

And another question just popped into my head...anyone ever seen a canard
glider?

take care

Blll