Old January 31st 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Medal Winners: Air Traffic Control Tapes

vincent p. norris wrote:

Geez. We'd catch a dozen gear ups every year when I was at GFK.

It was standard practice at marine and navy towers, back when I was
in, for tower operators to add "check gerar down and locked" when
clearing a pilot to land.

Wouldn't it be helpful for civilian towers to do that?

No, because it would be ignored. Like when you give a pilot a wind
check with his landing clearance and then 10 seconds later asks for a
wind check.

Is the FAA concerned about liability issues?

Not when you land gear up. The FAA doesn't buy that one.