Old May 7th 04, 11:30 PM
C J Campbell

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
This isn't an IFR related question, but I don't see an r.a group devoted
to instruction.

r.a student devotes a considerable amount of discussion to instruction.

Many aircraft have a limitation prohibiting flying from the right seat with
a non-pilot or no pilot at the controls in the left seat unless you are
using the aircraft for instruction. You will find it in the POH or in the
type certification. It would be illegal to fly such an aircraft from the
right seat.

I don't have the manual in front of me, but I *think* this is even true of
the newer Cessna Skyhawks. I will have to check.

Anyway, many aircraft rental outfits also prohibit it.

Part 135 also has this to say (although this prohibition applies equally
well to any pilot seat):

§ 135.113 Passenger occupancy of pilot seat.
top
No certificate holder may operate an aircraft type certificated after
October 15, 1971, that has a passenger seating configuration, excluding any
pilot seat, of more than eight seats if any person other than the pilot in
command, a second in command, a company check airman, or an authorized
representative of the Administrator, the National Transportation Safety
Board, or the United States Postal Service occupies a pilot seat.

§ 135.115 Manipulation of controls.
top
No pilot in command may allow any person to manipulate the flight controls
of an aircraft during flight conducted under this part, nor may any person
manipulate the controls during such flight unless that person is-

(a) A pilot employed by the certificate holder and qualified in the
aircraft; or

(b) An authorized safety representative of the Administrator who has the
permission of the pilot in command, is qualified in the aircraft, and is
checking flight operations.

Attached Images
File Type: gif ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif (142 Bytes, 119 views)