Old May 8th 04, 02:15 AM
David Megginson

C J Campbell wrote:

Many aircraft have a limitation prohibiting flying from the right seat with
a non-pilot or no pilot at the controls in the left seat unless you are
using the aircraft for instruction. You will find it in the POH or in the
type certification. It would be illegal to fly such an aircraft from the
right seat.

I don't have the manual in front of me, but I *think* this is even true of
the newer Cessna Skyhawks. I will have to check.

I checked the Limitations sections for the Cessna 172P, 172R, 182P, and
PA-28-161 -- none of them has an limitations concerning the right seat. The
only seat-related limitation is that the rear seats have to be empty for
operation in utility category. I also don't remember any seat limitation in
the TCDS for the 172 or the PA28, or in the insurance policy for my Warrior.

I'm not about to rush out and try it, though, at least not without an
instructor in the left seat (at least the first few times).

All the best,

DAvid