Old October 29th 04, 09:07 PM
jbarnes0995

It was probably for a Radio Shack TRS-Model 1 computer. I had one and
bought the software. A six mile by six mile virtual world. You could
just fly there or go into the soppwith camel combat mode and fly, shoot
at things like targets on the ground, etc. It was crude, yes, but I
learned a lot about flying way back then. I even talked to Bruce
Artwick himself, one time, on the phone. I'm still thrilled at talking
to such a genius. A few years later, in Chicago, I talked with a
lady that used to work there making SCENERY DISKS covering all of the
United States. I still enjoy FS-2004 with the ULTIMATE TRAFFIC 2004
Add-on.

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Mad Scientist Jr" wrote in message
om...

if you dig up the nat. geographic magazine from 1970, there are color
pictures that show full color graphics of a runway - this is years
before color video games began to appear. what system was this???

I don't know -- I don't have that magazine around for me to dig up -- but
flight simulators predate wide-spread use of computers by at least a decade,
possibly more.

Early flight simulators include the pneumatically powered Link instrument
flight trainers, and visual trainers that used terrain models and a video
camera that was moved along the modeled terrain according to pilot inputs.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the simulator depicted in the 1970
National Geographic issue is one of the television-based simulators.

Pete