Old January 8th 10, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lucky

Default Elephant landing

"Jeffrey Bloss" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:41:16 GMT, Mark wrote:

On Dec 12, 9:03 am, a wrote:
On Dec 11, 8:46 pm, Mike Ash wrote:

In article
ba0ba8fe-2141-40d0-93f8-4989bbcd8...

@s20g2000yqd.googlegroups.c
om,

Mark wrote:
This is one of the smoothest elephant landings
I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8FJ8la2VU

Certainly the smoothest one I've ever seen. Also the least
smooth I've ever seen.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Did you notice the asymmetrical flap deployment?

The asymmetry you observed is necessary with elephant flights,
as they use their heated pitot trunks in a cantilevered fashion
increasing parasitic drag, creating inevitable adverse yaw.
Fortunately the elephant didn't choose to go around, and
kick in his rear thruster.

Yeah, whatever you say Mark. Meet me in Berlin next week if you want
to see some real engineering.
--

I am trying to figure this out.

A couple weeks ago you said: meet me in Berlin.

A few days ago you said
Run like hell in the general direction of "away"

Away and Berlin are in the same place, then.

But why did you say next week?

You will however want to see this
http://www.likelihoodofsuccess.com/w.../02/f15_15.jpg

You are also going to want to see this
http://images.tradingmarkets.com/ima...y5/w070501.gif

..

That's completely accessible by the way. These are important issues.