Old January 20th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Low Altitude Low Temperature Soaring in Iowa

On Jan 19, 3:43 pm, wrote:
Check it out!

http://www.soarforecast.com/ti.cgi?S...ion=OAX&Surfac...

I was flying a Cessna 182 between 500 and 1000 AGL through the midday
today and found several bumps that gave me between 3-500 fpm climbs.
Saw several hawks and a bald eagle soaring. Don't worry though, the
club towplane is in the shop and temperatures aloft were right around
0 degF so the Cherokee Kid didnt even think about going flying in it.
I would have to get dressed up to look like the Michelin man just to
be comfortable outside, and then no way I would fit in the glider!

ok crummy, soarforecast updated the forecast so that URL so that page
is no good anymore. basic thing is that Dr. Jack had the boundary
layer around 2500 MSL and the soarforecast put the thermal index
negative up through 3000 MSL. Updraft velocities on Dr. Jack were
weak at 200ish foot per minute, but my observed climb rates were
better than that occasionally.