Old April 30th 18, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Wanting to start a new glider club

At 14:13 24 April 2018, AS wrote:

Martin is correct. I met with the Skylaunch engineering team at

past
SSA-co=
nventions and they would be a good company to partner with, if

you want to
=
rehabilitate and upgrade an older winch.
The same goes for Roman's Design made winches. Our local CAP

wing had a
Rom=
an's Design winch for a season and it was a very well built unit.

Either
wa=
y, getting a commercial manufacturer involved will have the

advantage of
re=
ceiving an engineered solution that works but at a cost. So if your

group
i=
s made up from folks that have two left hands with only thumbs on

them, it
=
is best to spend the money and get professional help. I have seen

way too
m=
any examples of winches thrown together by shade-tree mechanics

who
thought=
they knew what they were doing.

Uli
'AS'

It may be simpler than that. What you appear to have in the US that
we don't have so many of is small machine shops. While building a
winch from scratch may not be the way forward upgrading/repairing
a non functioning winch may be an option. Most of the people
running small machine shops are enthusiasts who just enjoy fixing
stuff and in many cases are first class machinists and engineers.
They do not have to know how to design winches, just fix an old
winch that has been discarded. If you want to look at the sort of
person I am thinking of check out Abom69 and others on Youtube