Old May 18th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Tie Down Trouble

On Tue, 16 May 2006 14:29:57 GMT, B A R R Y wrote:

Any Sundowner owner will tell you that it's almost impossible to make
her tail heavy. With myself (240) and my co-owner (180), we fly with 65
pounds in the baggage compartment, and still have a CG slightly forward
of published limits, that comes into limits as we burn fuel. With a
480-500 lb front row, we fly with 135 pounds of ballast in the baggage
compartment to balance.

On my IFR checkride, I had to show my numbers for weight and balance.

470 pounds of meat in the front seats *required* 100 pounds in the baggage
department with full tanks. I elected to put in 75 pounds (yes, I brought
barbell weights) and account for fuel burn off to keep me in CG.

Allen